There are so many advantages to developing the killer habit of reading. Beyond gaining knowledge, the brain gains a lot when you choose not to simply center your daily reading around Twitter updates, Instagram feeds or Facebook posts. You might be wrestling with a lot of things each day that needing execution on your to-do list but the most successful people have got to where they are by finding the time to read for self-improvement. By getting to know what’s in some of the best books out there on personal development, you will likewise be able to sharpen your thinking, improve memory and learn new skills that’ll prove invaluable.
Whether you’re a student, self-employed business owner, freelancer, entrepreneur, or working for someone else, you’d be better for it if you take up this habit. It is also a great way to constantly check in and propel yourself to succeed in your professional life. Additionally, if you’re looking to build up a strong sense of confidence and reassert your competence, then gaining new knowledge through personal development is a quick way to do this.
In order to get you started with reading for self-development, I’ve shortlisted some personal favorites in this showcase of 20 Best Personal Development Books to Skyrocket Your Success. Personally, I’ve found every book on this list to be motivating and inspiring, with most providing detailed action plans to help find your way to achieving the success you’ve dreamed of.
Best Personal Development Books to Skyrocket Your Success
1. The Success Principles by Jack Canfield
2. Think and Grow Rich: (Revised and Updated for the 21st Century) by Napoleon Hill
3. The Power of Positive Thinking by Dr. Norman Vincent Peale
4. Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell
5. Getting Things Done: The Art of Stress Free Productivity by David Allen
6. The Power of Full Engagement: Managing Energy, Not Time, Is the Key to High Performance and Personal Renewal by Jim Leohr and Tony Schwartz
7. How to Win Friends & Influence People by Dale Carnegie
8. The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich by Timothy Ferris
9. Crush It! Why NOW Is the Time to Cash In on Your Passion- by Gary Vaynerchuk
10. Let Go! by Pat Flynn
11. Habit Stacking: 97 Small Life Changes That Take Five Minutes or Less by Steve Scott
12. Choose Yourself! Be Happy, Make Millions, Live the Dream by James Altucher
13. Awaken the Giant Within: How to Take Immediate Control of Your Mental, Emotional, Physical and Financial by Tony Robbins
14. Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience by Mihaly Csikszentmihaly
15. 177 Mental Toughness Secrets of the World Class by Steve Siebold
16. Why We Do What We Do: Understanding Self-Motivation by Edward L. Deci
17. Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can’t Stop Talking by Susan Cain
18. Virtual Freedom: How to Work with Virtual Staff to Buy More Time, Become More Productive, and Build Your Dream Business by Chris Ducker
19. Influence: The Psychology of Persuasion, Revised Edition by Dr. Robert Cialdini
20. The Now Habit: A Strategic Program for Overcoming Procrastination and Enjoying Guilt-Free Play
Why is reading so essential for personal development?
Lifelong learning is a great tool for staying mentally alert as you grow older. It has also been proven to be great for psychological and all-around wellness. Research studies have found that people who read more often are able to forge stronger brain pathways and links, which they extend to many aspects of their lives. This deeper thinking that reading promotes leads to mental stimulation and allows for more complex brain organization.
The benefits don’t stop there, and I could go on explaining how the science backs the idea of books being the key to finding the superpowers that’ll help you succeed. More importantly, if you’ve found your way here then you’re looking to get more from life and reach your goals by developing good habits. And I’d like to help you do just that by diving right into things.